Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Trade Books

Trade books and leather suppliers list:

Doing a google search on that phone number (414 6457500) turns up an interesting link of businesses withsic code 3111, a list of tanners, suppliers andpossible producers et al. http://www.webstersonline.com/sicresults.asp?siccode=3111Regarding the issue of getting into the sewn productsbusiness, as useful as I found _The E myth revisted_I'd be remiss in failing to mention _TheEntrepreneur's Guide to Sewn Product Manufacturing_ aswell as Fashion-Incubator.com.

best Kathleen
http://www.fashion-incubator.com~~~Nurture people, not products~~~

Kathleen comes through again.

That search sure turned up a lot of tanners andfinishers, including a few in Gloversville. I should have mentioned Kathleen's book sooner. The emyth book is way simplistic by comparison. It just gets you thinking about your business as a finished work and tells you how to reverse engineer it right from the beginning. I actually mentioned it because it is so cheap and easy to read. If the guy would just SAY IT, it would be a one chapter book. Entrepreneur's Guide to Sewn Product Manufacturing has a lot more specific info. You want more it costs more. I'm not trying to sell books here but... it's something to consider.

Oh, and don't go to her blog unless you have a lot of time to spend, you'll get hooked and read for an hour or two.
What one reviewer says about her book:

I happened upon this book one day & hesitated to pay $60 for it...now I laugh at myself for thinking:a)$60 was a big investmentb) i could "learn" my way without it Now that I have read it...and highlighted it...and consulted it time and time again, I realize it was the smartest $60 I have spent in my time in the industry. I have run the gamut-- from "how-to" and "fashion design" books to contractors, business "partners", and bad samples...NOTHING has been better for me or my business than THIS BOOK. Think I'm over exaggerating? This book is absolutely priceless if you are starting out in the industry and THINK you havea handle on how to do it. You don't. You think you do, you think you're close enough, but you are wrong! I can say all this because I made so many mistakes until I got my hands on this book. I cannot tell you how many times over the years I have caught myself saying, "Kathleen was right!".An invaluable book. Worth ten times the price-- but please only buy from Kathleen directly! This is one of the hardest-working ladies in the industry who takes her valuable time to answer newbie (like me) questions in person. What a wealth of info! What a resource! I have a LIBRARY of sewn product manufacturing, design, and production books, and NONE have been worth the price-- until this one. Oh-- I took the courses in college, too, FYI. I'll say it again-- the book has proved more valuable than all my years studying at an uppety, private university!

Well... hard to beat that review. After I published this a guy from ...@Princeton.edu sent me 3 emails wanting me to unsubscribe him. I had to email him twice that there was an unsubscribe link at the bottom of every message, and if I did it, I would unsubscribe myself not him. Guess he didn't like the "uppety, private university" part, but he did kind of validate the reviewer.

No comments: